Sunday, April 6, 2014

A weekend with the Kingston Trio

Last weekend, my husband and I went to see the Kingston Trio in concert at the Dosey Doe in The Woodlands. It was a fabulous concert. The owners had torn down a barn in Kentucky and reassembled it in Texas and then had the architects create a building with nigh perfect acoustics. They have the tables in front of the stage set up "German" style. We had a seat right next to the stage. The food was outstanding as well.

We arrived early as we'd never been before which gave us time to enjoy the meal and visit before the group performed. They sang for about an hour and a half. Afterwards, they stayed and talked with everyone in a most relaxed and friendly manner.

When I was growing up, neither parent was much into music. We had a turn table in the living room and I think they owned all of 10 albums, but my father's favorite group at the time was the Kingston Trio. My girl friends and I would play dress up and dance to those tunes. Sometimes we'd switch and play Herb Albert's Tijuana Brass but mostly we played Kingston Trio songs. At the time, the rest of my friends were all talking about the Monkees and the Beatles. I had no idea who these groups were. I did buy a Cowsills' album with some allowance money and even talked my mom into taking my best girl friend and myself to a concert. Too funny.

Most of the songs were ones we sang at Girl Scout camp so hearing the Kingston Trio in concert brought a lot of good memories. Thanks guys for still performing.

No comments: