Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Ciara Gold's Date Nut Cookies

I remember many things about my grandmother. One, we always visited her during Christmas or Easter. Two, she always made the most fabulous cookies. Below is one of the recipes she made during Christmas and one of my favorite cookies. She was a special lady who always believed in me and I miss her a lot.

Date Nut Cookies

In a skillet, combine the following ingredients. Use medium to low heat and stir often until a thick, spreadable paste forms.

1 lb chopped dates

1 cup pecans

½ cup sugar

½ cup water

Cream the following ingredients:

2 cups sugar

1 cup shortening

Add to the creamed mixture and mix:

3 eggs

2 tablespoons molasses

Add dry ingredients and stir until soft dough forms:

4 cups flour

1 tsp soda

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp salt

Divide dough into thirds. On floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. I use floured wax paper as I use the paper to roll it up later. I roll it so it forms a shape that is about 14 - 15 inches long and about 6 inches wide. Scoop one third of the date mixture onto the dough and use a knife dipped in water to spread evenly over the dough. Gently roll dough over mixture until a long log is formed. I use the wax paper to help me do this. Then, tuck in the ends of the wax paper, roll wax paper around the cookie log, and place it in the freezer. Repeat these steps twice more for a total of three cookie roll logs.

After it freezes hard, slice the roll into 1/4 inch thick cookies. Bake at 350̊ for 9 - 10 minutes or until golden brown.


No comments: