Thursday, September 17, 2015

Book of my Heart

So I have several books that are special. Celestial Dragon was my first published book and will always hold a special place in my heart but The Keeper of Moon Haven is probably the "book of my heart". The one that really kept me writing until all hours of the night. With the coming of my new novel, The Rose Hunter, I thought it might be fun to revisit The Keeper of Moon Haven. Why? Because The Rose Hunter is set on the same world. You might call it a sequel of sorts. :-)

Please enjoy and excerpt for The Keeper of Moon Haven:

Blurb:

On the southern fringes of the Mendip Hills sits the Castle Hamingjur, an abandoned structure most fear haunted. Yet, on the rare occasions when the Hunter’s Blue Moon occurs, the Keeper occupies this mysterious castle where he guards the bridge to Alfheim Haven.

Noreen Willshire discovers more than fairytales hidden between the pages of Beletania’s diary. She opens the ancient book and finds a pathway to a Faery Realm where all manner of mythical creatures reside. In her naïveté, she summons the Keeper before his scheduled time in the human realm. In that brief moment, the mysterious wizard touches her soul with more than magick. She promises to return the diary during Mefylleth, a time when the barriers between the two realms melt away, but danger stalks her path. Torn between her desire to make a new life for herself in America and her growing love for the Keeper, she must bridge the gap between magick and time to follow her heart.
Excerpt:
 
 
An unearthly wind whooshed over the page. Noreen stopped reading mid-sentence. She shivered. Cold seeped into the room. Her gaze scanned the bedroom, but no one appeared.
          Twenty-three. She groaned at the number of times she’d read the story. Her throat ached from her efforts, yet she couldn’t quit. Tomorrow she would be gone from Somerton Manor, and she wanted the issue with the book resolved before then.
          She rubbed aching eyes, still perplexed at the absence of Old English text. For a story written over eight hundred years ago, it read as if written just yesterday.
          With bent head, she continued, determined to read the entire passage once more.
          “Sir Fenot! Come quick!”
           “Wizard Tartel Fenot froze at the terror he heard in the child’s voice.” A deep, masculine voice read in unison with her own, then continued when she stopped reading. “Only fear for his life would garner such strong emotion in the young elf.”
          She whirled toward the sound and shrieked. Jumping from the rocker, she turned her back to the man and slammed the book shut. A cloud of dust flew. Panting, she set the heavy book on the bed and leaned over it. Merciful heavens, the man had been bare-chested.
          She closed her eyes and fanned warm cheeks.
          “Is that anyway to greet a guest?”
          She shrieked again, picked up the book, and held it like a shield.
          “Ssh. You’ll have the entire household here posthaste if you keep crying like a banshee.”
          She froze. Her breath came rapid and loud. Slowly she turned to face the intruder, keeping her eyes averted. She couldn’t stare at the man because of his state of undress, but she couldn’t turn her back on him either. Her gaze fixed on his face. “What do you want?”
          “Want?” The corners of his lip lifted. “I was under the impression, ’twas the other way around. I believe you summoned me.”
          The book slipped from her fingers and landed with a thud on the hard floor.
          The Keeper? No, it couldn’t be. Her gaze fastened on the now closed book. Why was he still here if she’d broken the bridge? She’d expected another troll, not a virile man. What sort of monster had she summoned?
 
 
You can find the book at Amazon.
 
 

7 comments:

katie200 said...

Hi Ciara.

I can see why this book would be special. It's a magical read with great character. I remember first reading The Keeper Of Moon Haven. It felt like a very special and magical book.

I enjoyed reading your Excerpt.

Take care.

Katie.

Ciara Gold said...

Thanks Katie. I have high hopes for the entire series but I write slow. Bummer that. LOL.

katie200 said...

I think you should have very high hopes for the series if the first book is anything to go by. I don't think it matters if you write slowly it give reader like me time to wonder about the next book. (Make November speed up lol) and I'm sure writing at your own pace give you loads of time to live in your magical worlds and follow your characters. I think there's nothing better than that.

But I will keep an eye out for the next ones to come as I truely enjoy all your book. But The keeper...... Was my very first book I read of yours on my very first kindle. So it's kinda where my love of your books started. And a very magical book it's too. :)

Take care.

Katie.

Ciara Gold said...

Thanks Katie! I wanted to respond earlier but Google is being cranky. I couldn't even reply on my own blog. Grrrr. I'm beginning to hate all things Google but alas. Last year, my google chrome started eating memory on my computer so I had to get rid of it and I still haven't put it back on. Sigh. The woes of being plugged in.

katie200 said...

Oh no Ciara Google being cranky. It's like a gremlin sometimes. I use google chrome on my laptop as it's easier for me to find everything.

I'm glad Google has decided to let you back to commenting on your blog.

I hope you're having a lovely week.

Take care.

Katie.

Ciara Gold said...

Week is going well. And you? About to get really busy at school. But I wouldn't want it any other way.

katie200 said...

Hi Ciara,

I'm glad your weeks been going well. My weeks been alright thanks, good luck with school. :)

Take care.

Katie.