Saturday, November 2, 2013

Word Fun - Looking for antiquated

How 'bout the word - CUCURBITARING? A mouth full isn't it? It means to decorate with pumpkins or other gourds.

So I found a new blog the other day that tickled me pink. I was looking for SAT words to use as prompts for my studio AP art kids when I stumbled upon A Lackadaisical Lexicon for Laggard Logophiles.

This site specializes in words we rarely use anymore or maybe words that are only used in special settings. Anyway, I discovered that a lot of the words, while still in the dictionary, are pretty Victorian and no longer used in contemporary dialogue.

For those of us that like to write in the historical genre, I think this will be a great resource for making our Victorian dialogue more authentic. Clearly, we used the words at some point in history and while this particular site doesn't go into the etymology of the word, one can probably do a bit more research by using the etymology dictionary to discover if the word was used in the time period for which a writer needed it.

I also love that this site has art associated with the word.

No comments: